Prince Harry and Meghan Markle ‘haunted’ by the late Queen’s new memoirs
As Queen Elizabeth II’s diaries are being extracted for publication, her grandson and his wife are concerned they will be painted “villains”

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are concerned about the content of the late Queen’s diaries which are being pulled together for publication
The late Queen Elizabeth II kept a handwritten diary during her reign, and it is believed her private letters and diaries are set to be published next year. While recent reports have claimed King Charles III is committed to keeping his mother’s secret diary hidden to protect the family’s reputation, a source says he is not the only royal who has worries about the bombshells that will be revealed.
The diaries are said to detail the Queen’s thoughts about Prince Andrew’s well publicised sex scandal and the fall out of Charles and Diana’s marriage. They are also said to address the drama around her grandson Prince Harry and his wife Meghan Markle stepping down from the royal family in January 2020, and subsequently taking part in tell-all interviews about what life was like in The Firm. And a source says Meghan and Harry are worried about how they will fair when the memoirs are published.
“King Charles isn’t the only one panicking over the prospect of a new book on her late Majesty the Queen, as it’s got the Sussexes all riled up and worried sick they’ll be torn to pieces for their selfish antics,” they say.
“The Queen was the ultimate diplomat who always saw the best in people whatever their faults. But that doesn’t mean Harry and Meghan’s petulance and unforgivable attacks on the family members she loved didn’t push her to the brink privately, and she’d expressed an awful lot of displeasure and disappointment towards Meghan in particular for leading Harry down this bitter and twisted path away from his family.”
The couple – who are parents to Archie, four and Lilibet, two – are said to be “dreading” the book’s release as it could jeopardise any hope of them rebuilding relations with members of the Palace in the future.
“The book could be that final hammer blow as far as being accepted in any form whatsoever inside the monarchy,” they explain. “Only time will tell, but the feeling is that karma’s going to bite them hard once this does get published – and for a lot of senior members of the Firm that can’t come soon enough.”

Harry and Meghan’s depiction of life in the royal household pushed the late Queen “to the brink” privately, a source said
The diaries are being pulled together by the Queen’s former footman, Paul Whybrew, who was close to the late monarch. He has been tasked with sifting through the documents to help decide which ones are eligible to be released to the public. The publication for the handwritten notes are said to be an “extremely sensitive” topic for Harry, 39, as he’s still not over the loss of his grandmother, who passed away on September 8 2022.
The source explains, “He loved her so much and the idea that things will be written about their relationship based on what senior royals have to say is sickening to him. As far as he’s concerned anything they say will be rubbish, he’s totally confident that she had his back and would always have made time for him no matter what. But he’s not naive enough to think that he’ll get any sort of fair treatment in this. They add that while Harry was “loved dearly” by the Queen, he and Meghan “caused her immense anguish in the end.”

Prince Harry has spoken publicly about the “special bond” he shared with his grandmother
Soon after Harry fled the UK almost four years ago, he blasted his father for making him “suffer” for treating him as he had been brought up, and accusing the royal household of being racist, which Prince William was forced to deny. In his bombshell tell-all interview with Oprah Winfrey in February 2020, Harry, 36, revealed he was “trapped within the system” and likely would have never left his position had he not married Meghan, 42. His sister-in-law, the Duchess of Cambridge, even got caught in the crossfire when during the same interview, Meghan accused Kate, 40, of making her cry.
Back in 2018, reports emerged that during a discussion about the bridesmaid outfit ahead of Meghan and Harry’s wedding, Meghan had made Kate cry. However, Meghan told Oprah that it was the ‘reverse’ and it was actually Meghan who ended up in tears. Meghan revealed, “I am not sharing this to be in any way disparaging about her [Kate]. I would hope that she would want that to be corrected. She made me cry and it really hurt my feelings…. I thought in the context of everything else going on in the days before the wedding, didn’t it make sense to do what everyone else was doing knowing what was going on with my dad and whatnot.” The Duchess added she did not want to get into details because Kate had “apologised and I [had] forgiven her”

In February 2020, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle appeared on Oprah Winfrey and accused members of the royal family of being racist, which Prince William later denied
Two days later, Buckingham Palace released a statement, which stated, “The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan.
“The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning. While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately.”
Despite his estrangement from other senior members of his family, Harry remained close with his grandmother even after leaving the monarchy. On several occasions, he and Meghan would travel to London to visit the queen and darlier this year he said he had a “special relationship” with her.
The source explains that there’s “no doubt” Her Majesty would have shared her “frustrations” and “sadness” about topics including Harry and Meghan’s tell-all interviews and Prince Andrew’s sex scandals with the people in her inner circle, but whether she wanted that made public in the form of published memoirs is another question.

Charles and Camilla may have their own reasons to fear the book’s publication
But they add any stalling of the book’s release from Charles could infuriate the public.
“As much as Charles wants to avoid having his own mistakes hashed out in the name of history, he’s also not going to want to cause a backlash by stalling this process for too long.
“Considering how beloved the Queen was if there’s no official biography written for her, the public’s bound to be furious. Odds are he won’t want to risk that so everyone is assuming it’s a matter of when, not if. And when it does get underway, whoever is chosen as the author will have plenty of anti-Sussex types briefing them. We’re told it has the potential to be a “total nightmare” for Harry and Meghan since they’ll have zero control over what is written.
“They’ll be hostages to whoever wants to paint them as the villains,” our source explains. “And let’s face it, the worse they come out looking the better for Charles and William, who have every reason to want to skew this biography in their favour. It’s very upsetting but there’s absolutely nothing he can do. Meghan’s urging Harry to let it go for now and deal with it once it goes to print. But that’s easier said than done. Harry tends to worry a lot and the fact is this is haunting him.”
PHOTOS: GETTY
Read more from Closer

Meghan and Harry’s last resort ‘therapy’

The sexy secrets behind Sofia Vergara’s dirty divorce